During this biking tour of Tuscany you spoil yourself with traditional Tuscan cuisine and lose your sense of time as you cycle past fields of red poppies and sunflowers surrounded by cypress trees and olive groves; an agrarian wonderland.
This Italian region, best known as the heart of the Renaissance, is fully explored from memorable inns, farm stays and converted palaces. Savor full course meals and witness a cultural history dating back to the days of Italy's original inhabitants-the Etruscans.
Days 1-2: Chianti Classico Farm Stay:
From a beautifully restored Tuscan farmhouse/winery, bike along quiet roads
to the three villages that formed the Chianti Alliance centuries ago. Visit Tuscany's forgotten abbeys and hamlets
then enjoy a private winery tour and taste their supple reds, fresh honeys and rich olive oil then relax by the vanishing edge pool
spilling into the countryside of endless vineyards.
Days 3-4: Abbeys, Saffron & Pilgrim Trails:
Soft, colorful, rolling hills of vineyards and sunflowers provide the backdrop to pre-Roman Etruscan remnants on your route to San Gimignano’s "medieval skyscrapers.” Then ride past Voltera an Etruscan and Romans stronghold
and into the fortressed Tuscan hill town Monteriggioni. In Siena you’ll witness a unique blend of medieval and Renaissance treasures during your city tour then a night on your own to enjoy the medieval atmosphere.
Days 5-6: Pienza:
Pedal through contrasting landscapes leading into the land of Brunello wines, Abbeys, Roman baths and historic hill towns
. Cruise along a high ridge and the changing hill¬sides of ash gray, deep green and bright yellow to the perfectly planned city of Pienza, where pecorino cheese is renowned.
- All 3-star accommodation with breakfast
- All full course dinners, but one and 1 gourmet picnic lunch on us
- Winery Visits & tasting
- Private City Tour of Siena & Visit of Etruscan Tombs
- BIKE RENTAL of quality upright 27-speed touring bikes equipped with handlebar bags (your clipless pedals can be mounted; but remember to bring your shoes, bike gloves and shorts.) Quality road bikes are available upon request at an additional charge
- Route note, maps and marked routes
- All tour transfers including meet/depart, van support and luggage transfer
- Multi-lingual guide(s)
- All entrance fees mentioned in itinerary
Not included: Airfare, beverages, trip insurance (strongly recommended), personal items, guide tips.